[Scons-users] SCons vs Meson for Python projects

Saša Janiška gour at atmarama.com
Fri Nov 25 05:50:13 EST 2016

Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> writes:

> C++11, C++14, and now C++17 have some serious problems but also they
> make C++ not the problem it was before C++11.

Probably…still I do not want to go (back) to C++.

> I would not want to write a Python extension in C, nor really Cython –
> you have to hack your Python code so much for the C generation that the
> code is Cython and not Python, why use a horrible language when C++ is
> more honest and therefore easier to get right. If I want performance
> Python code I go Numba not Cython – assuming NumPy/SciPy is not good
> enough.

Numba might be interesting, indeed. However, for that kind of
optimizations it is still too early, so the usage of Cython is more
geared towards providing Pythonic API for 3rd party C library,
iow. using Cython as bindings generator.

> For real performance though you really need C++, Fortran, D, or
> (much more likely) Chapel.

Chapel is probablly an overkill for my (current) needs. Otoh, I looked
at e.g. D, but for GUI app, PyQt is still much better (considering I do
not want to use Qt via C++).

> Chapel is the Fortran replacement of the future (as is X10 but I prefer
> Chapel). There is a PyChapel but currently it is Python 2 only. :-( I
> started trying to port it to Python 3, but had to pause for various
> reasons.

PyChapel is interesting, thank you for the pointer.

> Getting SCons and PyChapel on Python 3 is a 2017 goal for me.

Just wonder how would PyChapel work with PyQt…

> Kotlin (especially) and Ceylon are indeed shaping up to be Java
> replacements. Gavin King and his people have done a nice job with
> Ceylon, it is a great language, but it's interoperation with extant
> Java code is tricky. The JetBrains folk in creating Kotlin as a Java
> replacement taking inspiration from Groovy and Scala, and allowing for
> incremental replacement of Java code, is a master stroke. I am a Kotlin
> convert. Especially now that Gradle has added Kotlin as the language of
> build specification as well as Groovy. Kotlin build files may look like
> Groovy ones, but they are fully type checked at compile time, unlike
> Groovy ones. Lots of errors go away!

I’m still trying not to enter into Java/JVM and keep my life simple with
the Python, but on the long run I consider SCons along with enscons
(https://pypi.python.org/pypi/enscons/) better than fiddling with
distutils/setuptools.

> Cython is handled, and there are Qt tools.

OK.

> There was a move to get RST and Sphinx support but contributions faded
> away.

That’s sad…even CMake has it.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A self-realized man has no purpose to fulfill in the discharge
of his prescribed duties, nor has he any reason not to perform