[Scons-users] SCons vs Meson for Python projects

Saša Janiška gour at atmarama.com
Wed Nov 23 15:06:21 EST 2016

Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> writes:

Hello Dirk,

> good to hear from you again. ;)

;)

> This is why Meson is designed so that all possible (safe) speedups are
> used automatically and if advanced users want to do their own things,
> then those should be possible.

Hmm…that’s a bit strange, iow. maybe I like that SCons has full-fledged
manual. ;)

> The patch still needs to be integrated, so it's "work in progress".

OK.

What about py3k support? Is it going to land in next SCons release?

> Taking into account Jussi's approach for "comparing build systems" as
> described above, and having done quite some work on analysing SCons'
> performance I'd be inclined to state that SCons is up to par with most
> existing build systems...independent of *what* you're trying to
> build.

That’s good to hear!

> As soon as you leave the area of "toy projects" and do some
> real work in your C/C++ classes, the time for actually compiling the
> sources will be the dominant factor.

I do not plan to delve into serious/big C(++) projects - only extensions
for Python…Actually, my determination from the very beginning is not to
go (back) to C(++), neither to pursuit Java path although for I’ve
looked at Kotlin/Ceylon briefly.

> You'll definitely be fine with the current release when staying around
> 10k files, the situation for larger projects (100k files and more)
> will improve as soon as the mentioned patch is integrated.

Good.

Afaict, Cython/rst(Sphinx)/PyQt support is not in the SCons' core,
right?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who sees inaction in action, and action in inaction,
is intelligent among men, and he is in the transcendental position,