[Scons-users] Customize build decision logic for phony targets, that doesn't involve files

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sun Mar 27 07:46:40 EDT 2016

Hi Andrew,

On 27.03.2016 12:55, Andrew Pashkin wrote:
> On 03/16/2016 05:56 AM, Bill Deegan wrote:
>> Anyway if your builder doesn't read or write any files, perhaps you
>> can explain exactly what it does do?
>> What causes it to rebuild? What's the contents/source of the abstract
>> value?
>>
>> That may help to provide a solution.
> It builds an LXC container and I want SCons to re-build it when a git
> repository, with sources of some program, updates.

in your current setup SCons sees that the target doesn't exist, so it tries to build it....over and over again, because your actual
build action is empty. As soon as you provide an action that really creates the target file, there won't be any rebuilds and the
Value() dependency should work as expected.