[Scons-users] question about directories and build

Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) ttanner2 at bloomberg.net
Wed Mar 2 10:57:52 EST 2016

Well, you can't find any information on the directory itself using sconsign. I get this:

> sconsign -d build/directory .sconsign.dblite
=== build/directory
<everything in the directory>

> sconsign -d build -e directory .sconsign.dblite
sconsign: no dir `build' in `.sconsign.dblite'

So I don't think there can be a binfo

From: wblevins001 at gmail.com At: Mar  2 2016 15:42:37
To: Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON), scons-users at scons.org
Subject: Re: [Scons-users] question about directories and build

To my knowledge, SCons treats directories as targets just like any other Action output. Consider env.Mkdir() and how SCons would behave if no target was created for the directory?

I do not know if directories have binfo objects associated.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) <ttanner2 at bloomberg.net> wrote:

I have found someone has added a rule to our build which has a directory as a target. I found this out when trying to get hold of the binfo for it. Because there wasn't one.

Should scons be allowing you to create directories as targets of rules? I've normally relied on scons creating directories if it needs to so I'm not sure why he's doing this, but as scons doesn't detect it as an error, I'm a bit loath to tell the author there is a mistake without checking with others.