[Scons-users] Retrieving variables

Jason Kenny dragon512 at live.com
Mon Jun 20 00:32:42 EDT 2016

Currently in SCons there is a default tool. This load a preset of list tool.
As you see it load a different set based on platform. It is hardcoded in. I
believe Steve Knight did not like it, but it was nothing addressed before he
went his own way.

I don't recall what Gary had for this in his proposal. I will let him
clarify.

In Parts I tried to help solve this issue by defining a toolchain as a more
first class object. However I never really finished it. What I do have is a
directory called toolchain. It contains different named files that define
different tools to load based. In this I define a default toolchain that
does various tests to load a given toolchain based on platform. The user can
use this, or load a more directed set of toolchains ( as in one or more )
via the command line or via setting a variable in the SConstruct. This is
allows in the current form a way share toolchains definition in a file, as
well as control what to load via the commandline. The main thing for me is
that I allow toolchain to be definable by the user and allow them to
override any preexisting toolchain, such as what should happen by default. I
add to the toolchain a configuration idea that allow a definable
configuration to be load per tool that was loaded in the toolchain. This
configuration is selected via some combination of host and target platform
and tool version ( which could be any version or a given version , or
version range). Minus the first environment that SCons makes this allow me
to create new environment by only loading what tools the user requested and
to also load the tools less, as I can clone() environment with the same
toolchain, vs reloading them in a more automatic manner. This speed up the
startup time for really large builds ( such as one with 700-1000+ build
files.

There was something about the finders I defined in Part as a means to find
tools as something I believe Gary thought would be good add to his design. I
believe his stated that my design is about addressing a more directed
problem and that Parts address/add other ideas he is not trying to fix
(yet?).
I honestly need to go over Garys thoughts again as there was a goal to get
some improvement in SCons. I hope to get time later this year to do this
myself.

Jason