[Scons-users] passing variables on the command-line

Stefan Seefeld stefan at seefeld.name
Fri Jun 17 13:54:17 EDT 2016

In my current build logic I save variables (user-provided as well as
configure-computed) to a 'config.py' file. To do this I add

  vars.Add('CPPPATH')

etc. to my SConstruct file, so these variables get properly remembered.
After running `scons` the first time (where the configure logic issues a
number of env.AddUnique(CCFLAGS='something') calls, I get this in my
config.py file:

  CPPPATH = ['/usr/include/python2.7']
  CCFLAGS = []
  LIBPATH = ['/usr/lib64']
  LIBS = []
  PYTHON = 'python'
  PYTHONLIBS = ['python2.7']

However, if I run instead something like `scons CCFLAGS=-Wall -W` the
result is

CCFLAGS = '-Wall -W'

How can I instruct SCons to transform the 'CCFLAGS' variable issued on
the command-line into a list, so the individual flags are understood
when this is passed to the compiler ?

Thanks,

        Stefan