[Scons-users] Scons on pypy

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sun Jun 5 08:15:35 EDT 2016

Hi Daniel,

On 04.06.2016 19:33, Daniel Holth wrote:
> I am trying to run SCons on pypy. It seems to work fine if I do a global find/replace over the SCons source code, changing all
> __slots__ to __slats__, because pypy does not like to change the __class__ otherwise.
>
> This is from mercurial and pypy5.
>
> Have you had success running scons in pypy?

before the change to "slots" and while investigating how to speed up SCons, especially for large projects, I had a short look at
pypy. The comparison to CPython (see https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/wiki/WhySconsIsNotSlow , sect. "Continued speed analysis")
didn't show a large improvement by simply running in another interpreter. So I ditched this path for my following work, and here on
the User list interest in running SCons under pypy was always very low to almost non-existent. ;)

If you'd like to raise attention to this topic again, I'd like to hear what the background of your usage scenario is. Has pypy added
some changes recently that seem like they could offer a substantial running time advantage over CPython? We'd certainly be
interested to hear about that...