[Scons-users] cache directory structure

Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) ttanner2 at bloomberg.net
Wed Jan 27 08:10:19 EST 2016

I've been poking around in our system and it seems to me that for us at least, given we have around 23,000 files in each cache directory, which cripples ls, whether or not it might be better for scons to have 256 cache directories rather than the current 16 (00-FF rather than 0-F), as it might stress the O/S less (especially if the underlying filer is a bit slow. and yes, NFS does come into the equation here).

Is this a reasonable change to make? Does anyone have any opinions / feelings / contrary evidence?