[Scons-users] dependency question

Joshua Schmiedlin virtualthoughts at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 14:46:02 EST 2016

Hello,

I've used scons for about 10 years now, but am starting a new project with
it and have run into something I'm not sure how to fix.

I've setup my environment and exported it to several SConscript files,
which are building a mixture of c and c++ code.  The issue I'm running into
is that 1-3 files get rebuilt everytime, even though no changes have been
made to them (i'm using the default md5 decider).  In any case when I run
with --debug=explain i get the following:

*scons: rebuilding `build/x86/thirdparty/mbedtls-2.2.1/library/asn1parse.o'
because:           `thirdparty/mbedtls-2.2.1/library/asn1parse.c' is no
longer a dependency           `/usr/bin/clang' is no longer a
dependency           `thirdparty/mbedtls-2.2.1/library/asn1parse.c' is a
new dependency*
The file itself isn't important as for every build it is a different file,
which leads me to believe there is a timing issue somewhere.  My platform
is Ubuntu 15.10 with scons version 2.3.6 and/or 2.4.1.  I've seen this with
-j1 and -j8 and likely everything in between.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh