[Scons-users] Why SCons is not slow

Saša Janiška gour at atmarama.com
Fri Jan 8 13:30:42 EST 2016

On Pet, 2016-01-08 at 10:04 -0800, Bill Deegan wrote:

> O.k. so basically a hassle factor with needing both pythons installed
> if you're doing something with python 3.
> Good to know.

But let me say that I'm angry at myself wasting lot of time in vain
search for some adequate statically-compiled language to write desktop
app with.

Nothing seems close to PyQt and now I'm migrating into "Python-shop",
so, maybe, I could somehow help SCons project in the future since
learning it looks as better investment of time than CMake.

> We have a few developers working on the python 3 compatibility effort.

Bringing codebase to 2.7 would probably help a lot in regard.

> That said it's volunteer and on their own time, so predicting when
> they'll be done is not easy or wise.

I know. ;)

> Hopefully before end of the year, if we're lucky in the next few
> months.

Let me say that on my Debian (Sid) books, I've both versions installed,
so it's not such a problem.

Otoh, having access to neither Windows machine (my last license was for
XP), neither to Mac, it would be tolerable to use SCons without PYton 3
support while I anyway plan to use PyInstaller to somehow provide
binaries for Mac & Windows.

> We're still working on getting everything we want into scons 2.5..

What's on the plate for 2.5? Fixing that stub for improving performance?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The working senses are superior to dull matter; mind is higher
than the senses; intelligence is still higher than the mind;