[Scons-users] What is the difference between Variables and Options

Stefan Seefeld stefan at seefeld.name
Sat Jan 2 23:59:43 EST 2016

On 02.01.2016 20:32, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Stefan,
>
> Cross reference from the user guide should point at the manpage (IMHO)
> and not the API guide which is mostly internal API's not meant for
> most developers building a build system using SCons.

Reading the User's Guide I regularly find myself wanting more details
(e.g., what is the exact signature of a given function / method ?),
which I'd expect to find an answer to in the API reference. Likewise, I
often see terms being used that lack a clear definition (and thus are
prone to ambiguities or misunderstandings, like this "variables" vs.
"options" point in the other thread, where I think a glossary or
high-level conceptual overview might be beneficial.

Many other Python tools use Sphinx to generate their documentation,
which makes the writing of such interconnected sets of docs natural, and
the result very convenient to use.

        Stefan