[Scons-users] SCons and TravisCI

Erling D. Andersen e.d.andersen at mosek.com
Wed Feb 24 06:54:46 EST 2016

Hi

We cannot use that auto detection stuff because we want to control exactly
which compiler tool chain we are using.
And we may have different versions of the same toolchain installed.

So we have put our layer on top on Scons that does that i.e. helps on
control exactly which toolchain and version that is being used.
This of course means some manual work where.

I think someone from WmWare also wanted something like that years ago.

Erling

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Schleimer, Ben via Scons-users <
scons-users at scons.org> wrote:

> Hi Russel,
>
>    It does kinda suck that the authors of the tool didn't anticipate every
> possible use-case and location of various compilers and tools in the
> various supported platforms...
>
> Maybe the fact that Scons works so well in most cases causes people to
> expect it to be able to handle every situation. Hence the decline of
> western civilization....
>
> Ben
>
> PS. This sarcasm is free of charge and not intended to offend anyone ;-)
>

> On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:01 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk>
> wrote:
>

> On Tue, 2016-02-23 at 10:46 +0000, William Blevins wrote:
> > I *think* that SCons looks for tools in a specific order (IE. how
> > they are
> > listed internally), so if TravisCI has a slew of them installed, then
> > you
> > might not get the same compiler that you get on your local machine.
>
> I gave in, hacked the SConstruct to know about environment variables
> directly and it seems to do the trick. Pity though that Travis-CI is
> using Ubuntu Precise (or Trusty if you are lucky) when the absolutely
> earliest version that is sane for my project is Vivid. There is no
> point in using the Debian Sid option as that is the development
> platform. Ho hummm…
>

> --
> Russel.

Erling D. Andersen