[Scons-users] Getting builds to work with the -j flag

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Thu Feb 18 03:11:21 EST 2016

Hi Steve,

On 18.02.2016 00:40, Steve Robinson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get the -j flag to work in an existing build system to speed up build times.  I'm running into errors like this:
>
> c1xx : fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'path\to\source\source.cpp': No such file or directory
>
> general error c1010070: Failed to load and parse the manifest. The system cannot find the path specified.

it's been a while since I did development under Windows (MFC stuff mainly, with VS), but it looks to me as if the DLL declarations
(and possibly additional flags for either creating the DLL, or linking against it) are they main culprit here:

> Trying to simplify the problem I set up a simple SCons project that builds a library and builds a program that links to the library:
>
> ====== add.cpp ======
> #include "add.h"
>
> int addTwoNumbers(int number1, int number2)
> {
> return number1+number2;
> }

> int __declspec(dllexport) addTwoNumbers(int number1, int number2);

Can you try to run the build without the "__declspec", and without any additional flags...and then see what happens?

> [...]
> This is just my third month with SCons and it's been really great to work with after a few years with CMake.  Hope I can help
> support this community once I get more experience under my belt!

Thanks for the positive feedback, and we hope we can make you stay! ;)