[Scons-users] Question about scons

Gary Granger granger at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 9 13:18:51 EST 2016

Hello Guillaume,

I have not used cmake, but I took a quick look at the CMake find_package
documentation along with some of the Find<package>.cmake modules.  They
look like SCons "tools" to me.  A SCons tool is a python function,
module, or package which can be applied to an Environment to add
construction variables and methods (Builders).  The core SCons
distribution already contains a repository of some important tools, you
can see them under the SCons package in the SCons/Tool directory.  Some
tools are quite simple to write, some are more complicated.  My
impression is that the core tools are mostly compilers, but there are
many more tools developed externally, some of which are listed on this
wiki page:

    https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/wiki/ToolsIndex

Those are the closest things I know of to a repository for tools.
Usually if I need a new tool, I just search for it on the web or write
it.  Custom tools can be integrated with your source tree or installed
alongside SCons, as explained in the SCons documentation.

It could be an interesting exercise to parse or convert (ie "export")
the CMake package modules for SCons, but I suspect there are already
SCons tools for many of them.  If you can't find a particular tool you
need, then I suppose this is a good place to ask about it.  If CMake has
a package that SCons doesn't, it may not be hard to convert the CMake
package manually.  SCons already supports parsing of pkg-config scripts.

HTH,
Gary