[Scons-users] Need clarifications about --implicit-deps-unchanged

Pierre-Luc Boily pierreluc.boily at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 14:31:47 EST 2016

Hello,

On the page https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/wiki/GoFastButton it is said
'/scons --max-drift=1 --implicit-deps-unchanged will execute your build as
fast as possible./'

Also, it is said that by using --implicit-deps-unchanged options you are
making a promise to SCons that you didn't change any of the implicit
dependencies since it was last run.  Following this , I did testing between
our make build system and scons. In the table below, I raised a question :

The flag --implicit-deps-unchanged has been used while a dependency has
changed.  The ouput shows that MaxsimAdapter.cpp has been recompiled.  Is it
normal?

I am compiling a program and I am located in flatUi folder.  This program
has a dependency to a file located in another folder (MaxsimAdapter.cpp).
MaxsimAdapter.cpp is in a .lib file and my program link to this .lib.  In my
understanding, in the case where I modify MaxsimAdapter.cpp, I shall use
scons -u.  But I realized that adding --implicit-deps-unchanged seems OK,
because everything compile normally.

I just want to make sure I fully understand --implicit-deps-unchanged and
use it when it is appropriate.

Thx

<http://scons.1086193.n5.nabble.com/file/n40840/screenshot.jpg>