[Scons-users] installing scons via `pip install scons` doesn't work.

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 21:32:58 EDT 2016

There's the code I used to put SCons in a wheel starting from the source
archives it makes currently. It would require minor changes to work with
enscons 0.5.0. https://bitbucket.org/dholth/scons-wheel/src/tip/SConstruct .
It finds the files, puts them in the root of the wheel and it'll get
installed into site-packages, and depending on a flag it puts different
code in a Python 3 wheel. If you want multiple versions then virtualenv is
there for you. If you wanted more "creative" installs then you might prefer
to do that during the installation of the wheel instead of baking into the
wheel itself.

Long story short if you are okay with dropping a lot of features from
setup.py and re-implementing it just in SCons as a more typical Python
package I would be up for that. What do you really need setup.py to do?