[Scons-users] Performance of version 2.5.0 vs 2.3.0 on Windows host dropped significantly

William Blevins wblevins001 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 08:46:33 EDT 2016

Bill,

Since the memoization of path_func resolved this particular performance
issue, I don't think it is tree related for Henrik's case, which is why I
am curious. "I compared some Scons versions for our reference project (C++,
161 C/C++ files eg targets) which is a real-world gcc cross-compilation
project not some odd test case." This may imply that path_func needs to be
optimized if possible. Maybe this is just doing a lot of subst calls in
this case, but I am only guessing.

V/R,
William

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 3:04 AM, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>
wrote:

> It would also be useful to see that tree pre-2.5 and with 2.5, even
> obfuscated.
> -Bill
>
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 7:03 PM, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have to think that given the output of  --tree=prune, even obfuscated,
>> we could create a tree of files and SConstruct/SConscripts to mimic it.
>> And then use that as a benchmark.
>> -Bill
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 5:56 PM, William Blevins <wblevins001 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Henrik (or anyone else suffering from this specific issue),
>>>
>>> Sorry that I missed an optimization issue in 2.5.0. It hasn't seemed to
>>> affect many projects, so it appears to be dependent on particular project
>>> properties outside of my prediction and which I can only guess about. I was
>>> curious if I had forgotten or neglected to run the scons_testsuite
>>> <https://bitbucket.org/dirkbaechle/scons_testsuite> like a good
>>> developer. Although I am not building all 6 with this machine/setup, of the
>>> 3 that build with my current tool setup, there is very little performance