[Scons-users] Linking a subset of common object files

Viktor Dick viktordick86 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 00:45:44 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-28 16:15, Ale Strooisma wrote:
> If anyone knows how I could use the dependency tree, I'm highly
> interested, as I have no idea how to access it.

The thread where I originally had the same question as you can be found at
http://four.pairlist.net/pipermail/scons-users/2014-February/002243.html

There is also a discussion there about using the internal scanner of
SCons instead of 'g++ -MM'. However, as far as I understand, this does
not use the dependency tree that has already been produced by SCons
anyhow since the SConstruct is parsed first (at the end of which the
list of which files need to be linked together must be finished) and
then the header dependencies are calculated (only for the nodes that are
needed). However, I do not know if SCons caches the result for the later
dependecy checks and anyhow it might still be faster than calling a
subprocess. On the other hand, I do not know if the SCons scanner is
thread-safe, so you might not be able to spawn multiple threads to do
the scanning for different files. In that case it might well be faster
to delegate the scanning to 'g++ -MM'.

Regards,
Viktor