[Scons-users] Python 2.5 vs. Python 2.7

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Sep 24 07:15:22 EDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-09-23 at 14:40 +0000, Rob Boehne wrote:
> No, I didn¹t see any replies on the list.  I¹ve been able to make
> some of
> this work with both setups (scons 0.97 w/ Python 2.5 and scons 2.3.6
> w/
> Python 2.7) by explicitly converting to a python list.
> For example:
>
> env[ŒEXCLUDEDOCLET¹] = [a for a in docletenv.Jar(Š)]

My reactions:

1. Whatever works must be right.
2. You should never have t things like that.

> As I read the documentation, there¹s a significant effort in the
> design of
> SCons to avoid requiring this sort of conversion.

Definitely.

> I¹ve made some progress getting things updated, but eventually gave
> up on
> the idea of using ancient SCons with Python 2.7 and updated to SCons
> 2.3.x.  Aside from generating a myriad of warnings about deprecated
> usage,
> most of it is working.
> It¹s a complex build, using SWIG to generate interfaces form C++ on
> Mac,
> Windows, Linux, AIX, HP-UX and Solaris with native compilers.  It¹s
> been
> working for 8 years in production, but also has been bit rotting for
> most
> of that time, maintained by consultants.
>
> Any insight the Gurus can provide will be appreciated.

I think going straight to SCons 2.4.0 and Python 2.7.10 and taking the
hit is likely the best way of getting this resolved. Whilst it does
seem more "professional" to only change one thing at a time, and
changing Python 2.5 to 2.7 keeping SCons at 0.9.7 is the better route,
especially as SCons 2.4.0 is not going to work on Python 2.5 and
formally 2.6 won't work either, SCons 0.97 is so ancient that fixing
things is likely to be a mountain not a molehill.

As Bill says, if you can paste the build files and errors and warnings
(or at least fragments) then we can try and give constructive guidance
and advice.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk