[Scons-users] Interactive Mode on Windows

Dirk Baechle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Oct 19 17:17:35 EDT 2015

Hi Mattias,

Am 19.10.2015 um 18:32 schrieb mg at ncp-e.com:
> Hi,
>
> can you tell me how robust the --interactive mode of SCons is considered
> to be?

it's actually considered to be as stable as the default version. If this doesn't prove to be the case, then you might have found a
bug. The problems you're experiencing might also be related to a few optimizations I added to the source base recently, but it's too
early to tell for sure. Can you tell us which SCons version you're using currently?

> I've always known the interactive mode to somewhat unstable. But
> lately it's nearly completely broken for me on Windows. After two or
> three runs (building the same target, edit->run->compile cycles) it
> either fails compiling like this:
>
> [...]
>
> Once it reaches this state it doesn't recover. Other targets, however,
> can still be successfully built. So the state of some nodes seems to be
> messed up.
>
> Any advice on this?

Not directly. Would you be able to bisect this problem, in order to find out which commit (or at least which release version)
introduced the error?

> I'd really like the --interactive mode to get working better as it
> improves acceptance among my fellow developers that moan about long
> initialization times when running SCons.

Having done a fair amount of profilings and performance measurements of the SCons core, I find it hard to believe that your build is
so slow that you see yourself being "forced" to use the interactive mode.
When you mention "long" init times, how much seconds are we talking about for a "null build" (meaning everything is up-to-date)? And
how big in C/CPP files is your code base?

Just as a kind of last resort: accidentally I'm in Nuremberg quite often during the weekends (Saturday+Sunday), so if you think a
get-together would be a good idea, we could talk and try to arrange things.