[Scons-users] Caching and variant_dir

Glen Gibb glen at barefootnetworks.com
Thu Nov 19 23:28:49 EST 2015

Hi all,

Caching does not behave as I expect when the variant_dir starts with '..'
(i.e., pointing up a directory). In this case, caching uses the absolute
path to the files, rather than the relative path I had hoped it would store.

To illustrate, assume my source directory is /home/example/src. My
sconsript file is:

CacheDir('/my_cache')
env = Environment()
env.SharedLibrary('mylib', ['mylib.cpp'])

The following SConscript line line:
     SConscript('sconscript', variant_dir='build')
results in caching storing a path beginning with build as I expect:
'build/mylib.so'

However, the SConstruct line:
     SConscript('sconscript', variant_dir='../build')
results in caching storing the full path: '/home/example/build/mylib.so'

Is there a way to stop scons from resolving the .. in my variant_dir to an
absolute directory?

Regards,
Glen