[Scons-users] Finding targets which depend on a source file

Abhishek Rai abhishekrai at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 18:40:34 EST 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Paweł Tomulik <ptomulik at meil.pw.edu.pl>
wrote:

> To me it simply looks like "scons doesn't work as I expect", which of
> course might be true. If it builds so many targets after repo update,
> then they probably got affected by repo update. If SCons really rebuilds
> your targets which actually shouldn't be rebuilt, then it may be scons
bug.

> Could you share information what kind of targets it mostly rebuilds,
> which in your opinion shouldn't be rebuild. And scons version you use?
>

> --
> Pawel Tomulik

I think scons is doing the right thing - it is rebuilding precisely the
targets which it should rebuild.

A repository refresh, pulls in several "remote" changes to local files.
Scons is right in rebuilding targets affected by them.  I'm just trying to
avoid building targets which are not affected by my local changes.

I understand that this is not a use case for scons, but I was hoping to
somehow determine the set of targets affected by my local changes, and then
explicitly build only those changes to verify correctness of my local
changes.

Thanks,
Abhishek