[Scons-users] SCons popularity

Ray Sheppard rsheppar at iu.edu
Sat Jun 13 23:50:47 EDT 2015

Hello William,
   I only have experience with the SCons-based packages handed to me. So
possibly my issues are with the way those were created and not what is
possible.  In general, they assume that they know what directory
structures to expect and assume they have write privileges where they
don't.  In addition, they usually "see" a compiler that they should not
use and grab it.  The fact that it is just a piece of a more complicated
compiler with multi-staged compiler flags goes right over its head.  In
general, ecxecutables need to be static because execution directories
are thousands of clock cycles away from either home directories or
system libraries.  I have posed MPI questions here before that went
unresolved. I am not a big fan of Auto-xxx/M4/Configure.  I was happy
setting my flags and compilers in a Makefile and letting it go.
However, a simple set of command line flags to override SCons
assumptions, similar to ./configure --yyy,  is not widely publicized.
                                Ray