[Scons-users] SCons popularity

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Jun 12 13:00:14 EDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-06-12 at 12:32 +0200, Paweł Tomulik wrote:

[…]
> Some time ago I've started similar project:
> https://github.com/ptomulik/scons-gnu-build/. It implements most of
> the
> autotools' variables (bindir, and friends) in the sense that they may
> be
> passed from command-line (and/or shell environment) to scons
> environment. It also provides a flexible framework for defining
> custom
> variables "shared" between user/os and scons environment. There are
> also
> few other things such as standard autoconf tests implemented and some
> extra checks (e.g. recognizing available compilers, compiler
> versions,
> checking for compiler/linker flags availabililty). The missing part
> is
> the installer  functionality (I think of specialized installers for
> binaries, python libs, man pages, shared libraries etc.). If you're
> interested, we could join efforts somehow?

I have a variety of bits and pieces relating to supporting
prefix/bindir/libdir etc. processing using defaults, config files,
environment variables, command line arguments for installing which I
have never found time/energy to form up into a properly structured
SCons support package.

It may be that others have something as well, perhaps better than what
I have. In any event if there was a project for adding such extensions
to SCons so that there was a group of people working on things, I would
be happy to contribute.

I will check out this repository over the weekend.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk