[Scons-users] How to make a builder that takes a list of parameters

Bijan Chokoufe Nejad bijan.chokoufe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 09:29:27 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I have a list of files and a list of descriptions that should be
compiled together to a plot. So I need something like

cmd file1:desc1 file2:desc2 ...

In an old post, I saw someone using optional arguments for the generator
like this

def generate_plot(source, target, env, for_signature,
		descriptions=None):
  target_dir = target[0].dir
  if descriptions is not None:
    sources = ' '.join([str(s) + ':' + d for (s,d) in
		zip(source, descriptions)])
  else:
    sources = ' '.join([str(s) for s in source])
  return plot_cmd + '-o %s %s' % (target_dir, sources)

build_plot = Builder(generator = generate_plot)

But with scons 2.0.1 this doesn't seem to work?! What is the recommended
way for such scenarios? Should I try to use an emitter for this?

Thanks a lot,
Bijan