[Scons-users] SCons popularity

Paweł Tomulik ptomulik at meil.pw.edu.pl
Thu Jun 4 08:02:06 EDT 2015

Hi,

I am using SCons for a few years for and for a few reasons:

- it's extensible (Tools) and flexible,
- build scripts expressed in a civilized and powerful language,
- dependencies handled correctly even in parallel builds and without
additional developer's effort,
- it's free and open source :)

Generally it has a powerful core and it would deserve for a great
interest, but it's missing few crucial features that make it rather
unpopular. It looks like open source developers and package maintainers
are being instructed to strive away from using SCons, see for example:

- https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide (section called "SCons"),
-
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SCons#Why_you_should_NOT_use_SCons_in_your_project.

My question is: are the SCons developers going to address these issues?
I've seen efforts regarding versioned shared libraries, hope it's going
well. There are no easy ways (an no plans?), however, to support
"standard" installation targets. So, any plans to make it better with
this regard?

--
Pawel Tomulik