[Scons-users] Scons does not knkow how to Make File Target after adding Variant Build

Malek Musleh malek.musleh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 12:48:36 EDT 2015

Hello,

I am trying to make scons build my project + object files into a
separate build directory instead of doing it in the source
directories.

To do this, I made the following changes to the SConstruct/SConscript
files in the project:

I included the "variant_dir" whereevere the SConscript files were being sourced.
I also added duplicate=0, and set an environment option where
duplicate=0 indicates soft-copy link of .cpp files instead of
duplicating the source files in the build.

SConscript('archlib/SConscript', variant_dir = joinpath(build_roo
t, 'archlib'), duplicate=0)

Doing so, makes it partially works: as in the build directory is
created, and I see the source files being soft-linked, but I get the
custom error saying:

scons: *** Do not know how to make File target `'.  Stop.

(I have removed the binary name from the above output, but the File
target it says it cannot build is the project binary. From my
experience, this is because of some bad build rules (typo or
something) but I don't see that being the case here.

Reading online, doing what I did should be enough for building into a
separate build directory, so I am not sure what is causing the error.
Is there something else I am missing?

Malek