[Scons-users] Handle updated external dependency files

Brian Quistorff bquistorff at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 22:17:33 EDT 2015

Hi,

Thanks for the response. My projects use mainly Stata, R, Matlab, and
sometimes Python. The analyses read and write intermediate files as well as
produce various files for use by latex in making PDFs. My stats routines
have configuration variables that change which files are read and written.
Those settings are stored in config files or in the code and are manually
changed. A scanner then would be impractical, which is why I usually use my
own dependency generation program (https://github.com/bquistorff/wingendep)
which wraps the stats invocations, tracks file IO, and generates dep files
(like 'gcc -M'). Sometimes I also use latexmk which creates dep files.

After a manual configuration change, running the analyses again may change
the dep files. I would like to avoid two issues, (1) running extra
analyses/simulations that may take a long time (SCons' usage of MD5
signatures helps this a lot in general), and (2) being unsure/forgetful
about invoking SCons multiple times if need be. Because of (1) I would like
the build system to react quickly to changed dep files (no need spending
time on downstream stuff it is going to change). Any help on how do I do
that in SCons?

Cheers, Brian