[Scons-users] OpenMP and MPI

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Jan 26 06:39:27 EST 2015

On Mon, 2015-01-26 at 10:22 +0100, Florian Lindner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on a program that uses both MPI and OpenMP. gcc and icc require
> different compiler flags -openmp / -fopenmp.
>
> Furthermore when using MPI you usually use a compiler wrapper like mpicc /
> mpicxx / mpic++ where you don't see the compiler behind.
>
> What's the best scons way to deal with that? Current idea is
>
> if compiler = "g++":
>   env.Append(CCFLAGS = ['-fopenmp'])
>   env.Append(LINKFLAGS = ['-fopenmp'])
> elif compiler = "icc"
>   # likewise
> elif compiler.startswith("mpi"):
>   # execute $compiler -show with gives output like that
>   # g++ -pthread -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/lib/openmpi [...]
>   # and parse that output

Are you using specific SCons tools or just the default tool set? I am
guessing the latter.

For MPI, I always explicitly set compiler to mpic++.

Put this together and I am not sure I would advocate the if you have.

Is there a small project that we could bandy about to iterate to a "best
practice"?

> Is using subprocess to execute external processes ok? Any better way?

It is, but it shouldn't be needed.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk