[Scons-users] Advice sought

Dirk Baechle tshortik at gmx.de
Sun Feb 8 08:26:24 EST 2015

Hi Dominic,

Am 07.02.2015 um 22:16 schrieb Dominic Binks:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for some expert advice on how to go about implementing (well technically modifying) a build system to achieve a
> separated host and target build output.
>
> [...]
>
> The Android build system which is based on make has quite a clean way of doing this.  I imagined that VariantDir() would help me out
> here but reading more about it, it doesn't really do what I need.

can you be a little bit more specific about why VariantDirs aren't a valid solution for you? It would also be interesting to know
about how many targets and source files we are talking about here (in rough numbers). Are all source files compileable for both
targets, so could one possibly use VariantDirs to compile the basic Objects...and then, in a separate SConscript, collect them
together into the final executables as needed for each target system?

My first impression is that a good answer can only be given in relation to your current build structure, so a few more infos would
be helpful.