[Scons-users] timing issues and protecting from them

Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) ttanner2 at bloomberg.net
Wed Dec 9 03:11:24 EST 2015

No. I'm implying it should happen at the time it does the build. Not during subsequent runs.

The situation we got into is:

  timestamp in scons.dblite matches current timestamp of file
  md5 in scons.dblite doesn't match current md5 of file

We have a somewhat paranoid decider function which checks for mismatchming md5s but that doesn't trigger if the timestamp hasn't changed (as otherwise it would be very slow).

So the check I'm thinking of is something like in the .built function

   if database timestamp of source dependency != actual timestamp of source dependency:
       raise builderror (str(source) + ' changed during build')

that shouldn't be an expensive check, and ensures what you have is self consistent.