[Scons-users] --dry-run can still remove files - is this a bug?

chris warth cswarth at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 02:34:12 EDT 2015

[Had to fix up my subscription so replying to the email I have.]

I appreciate your taking the time to look at this, Bill.   All the
earlier computation is done with SCons.  You are right - we are not
using VariantDir() correctly.  We probably shouldn't use it at all and
I will try taking it out.

But my possibly misguided point, is not about whether this SConstruct
is correct or not.   The point is that --dry-run should should not
change anything regardless of what I do.    Removing files, even if I
abuse VarianDir() is not printing commands - it is executing them.
If SCons really needs to remove a file in order to make a tree of
commands, then it should print the 'rm' or 'del' command but not
execute it.  Yes, of course it unlinks the files without issuing an
actual shell command, but the effect is the same.   I need to be able
to trust --dry-run to show me what it would do without actually doing
it.

- Chris