[Scons-users] Ignore and Requires

Arvid Rosén arvid at softube.com
Wed Oct 15 17:38:09 EDT 2014

Hi!

I generate a .cpp file with a revision number. It is compiled and linked with a lot of other object files. However, I don’t want to re-link if only the revision number has changed.

I thought order-only dependencies using ”Requires” function would solve this, but if I state that the final binary ”Requires” the revision-object, the binary is still always re-linked. I guess this is because the revision object file is in the source list of the link command, so it gets added as an implicit dependency. There is a ugly workaround (passing the revision object as a link flag) in the user guide:
http://www.scons.org/doc/2.3.1/HTML/scons-user.html#idp2498640

But, can I achieve the same thing by using the Ignore function followed by Requires? It seems to work, but I don’t know if I am guarantied that the files are built in the right order.

Cheers,
Arvid