[Scons-users] Mark existing file as up-to-date

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sat May 10 04:44:46 EDT 2014

Pedro,

On 09.05.2014 10:21, Pedro Inácio wrote:

> @all, Thank you for your feedback.

you're welcome.

> @William, the default build action is something like

> "foo $IN > $OUT"

> I can think of three situations where SCons flags $OUT to be rebuilt,

> 1. I might change the default build action for something like,

> "echo Building $OUT; foo $IN > $OUT"

> 2. I have recompiled foo, but I know that nothing changes in the output.

> 3. I may have changed input $IN, but I know that nothing changed in

> the output.

> In all three situations SCons is right. OUT should be rebuilt.

> However, I would like to have control and be able to tell SCons that

> in all three situations it does not need to rebuild the file.

Picking up these kind of dependencies is one of SCons' strongest points,
that's why it takes control for you usually. If you want to be in
charge, what exactly do you want SCons to do for you (what's left that a
script couldn't do)? This may seem strange to hear it on the SCons user
ML, but maybe you're using the wrong tool for the job...just sayin'.

> @Bill, good idea. I have tried this but it doesn't seem to work as

> expected. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

I'd really like to know what exactly that means "doesn't seem to work as
expected". Are you getting errors or warnings, if yes how do they look
like? How did you try (executed commands), which answers did you expect
and what was returned instead?

Maybe you are (have been) doing something wrong, and are still on the
wrong track right now. But from the informations that you've given us so
far, I can't tell.

Regards,