[Scons-users] CheckPkG on OS X 10.9

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Thu May 1 17:54:16 EDT 2014

Start with the SCons man page at
http://www.scons.org/doc/HTML/scons-man.html. Right up near the top
you'll see examples of importing shell environment variables. For
instance, to import PATH and HOME:

import os
env = Environment(ENV = {'PATH' : os.environ['PATH'],
'HOME' : os.environ['HOME']})

You'll have to do some legwork to figure out which env var(s) are key
for your problem; just divide and conquer.

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 5:47 PM, Mr iQ <mriq.13 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Probably something in your shell environment.

>> See if it works if you replace your env line with:

>> env = Environment(ENV=os.environ)

> Bingo !!

> it worked.

>> If it does, you have some shell environment variable that you may want

>> to code into your SConstruct.

> how ?

> i wanted actually do that but i'm not python programmer and didn't know how

> to include it !

> (i start to like python... maybe some day i start learning python :p)

> Thanks again.

>> On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 5:16 PM, Mr iQ <mriq.13 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Hi all,

>> > i use Mac OS X. I get problem compiling a simple source code which does

>> > print a gtk+ window. i can paste the source code if necessary but i

>> > don't

>> > think it does anything to do with the source code.

>> > i took the second example from this url :

>> > http://www.scons.org/wiki/UsingPkgConfig

>> > after running scons i get the following error message :

>> > scons: Reading SConscript files ...

>> > Checking for pkg-config...yes

>> > Checking for gtk+-3.0no

>> > GTK+-3.0 not be found

>> > Interesting is that when i run pkg-config --exists 'gtk+-3.0' from

>> > command

>> > line the exit code is 0

>> > here is the SConstruct file :

>> > import os

>> > env = Environment()

>> > env["PKG_CONFIG_PATH"] = os.environ.get("PKG_CONFIG_PATH") # a user in

>> > IRC

>> > suggested

>> > def CheckPKGConfig(context, version):

>> > context.Message( 'Checking for pkg-config...' )

>> > ret = context.TryAction('pkg-config

>> > --atleast-pkgconfig-version=%s'

>> > % version)[0]

>> > context.Result( ret )

>> > return ret

>> > def CheckPKG(context, name):

>> > context.Message( 'Checking for %s' % name )

>> > ret = context.TryAction('pkg-config --exists \'%s\'' % name)[0]

>> > context.Result( ret )

>> > return ret

>> > # Configuration

>> > conf = Configure(env, custom_tests = { 'CheckPKGConfig' :

>> > CheckPKGConfig,

>> > 'CheckPKG' : CheckPKG})

>> > if not conf.CheckPKGConfig('0.15.0'):

>> > print 'pkg-config not found'

>> > Exit(1)

>> > if not conf.CheckPKG('gtk+-3.0'):

>> > print 'GTK+-3.0 not be found'

>> > Exit(1)

>> > # Your extra checks here

>> > env = conf.Finish()

>> > # Now, build

>> > env.ParseConfig('pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-3.0')

>> > env.Program('main.c')

>> > and here is the config.log

>> > file /Users/love_osx/Desktop/testscons/SConstruct,line 19:

>> > Configure(confdir = .sconf_temp)

>> > scons: Configure: Checking for pkg-config...

>> > pkg-config --atleast-pkgconfig-version=0.15.0

>> > scons: Configure: yes

> [...]

Gary