[Scons-users] SCons Program is not aware of .manifest or .pdb

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Fri Mar 21 15:06:16 EDT 2014

On 21.03.2014 18:24, Jason Swager wrote:

> Sounds like the SCons 2.3.1 documentation needs to be updated in

> regards to SideEffect(). That's where the PDB example is used and

> where the non-cleaning nature of SideEffect() is explained and the

> Clean() method recommended. Good to hear that SCons is getting

> better; now if the docs could just catch up. :)

> Jason

I just got a pointer to the MAN page from Rob (Thanks buddy!) and things
are clearing up now. We have to distinguish between

1.) cleaning the target explicitly, like "scons -c out.obj", and
2.) cleaning *all the things* with "scons -c".

SideEffects are internally handled as additional (extra) targets, but
they're normal targets nonetheless. So in the first case SCons cleans
only the given target and is done. This is also a good thing, because
another build command might still be running, that currently writes to
the same SideEffect file (Remark; This actually can't happen, but the
Taskmaster doesn't know. ;) ).

For 2), the SideEffect is in the list of default targets, and gets cleaned.

So, the documentation is actually correct...and the source code too. ;)

However, it might make sense to include some portion of the discussion
above to the env.SideEffect() abstract. What do you think, and who wants
to volunteer?

Regards,