[Scons-users] SCons Program is not aware of .manifest or .pdb

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Fri Mar 21 11:48:54 EDT 2014

Hi Shane,

On 21.03.2014 13:50, Shane Gannon (gannons) wrote:

> Hi all

> When compiling on Windows the SCons Program() is unaware that a .pdb

> and .manifest may be generated. i.e. They are not listed as targets.

> Hence the cache and clean do not work as desired.

when using the "PDB" variable as described in the Wiki link below, the
*.pdb file should get added to the list of targets for the Program(). If
this doesn't work on your side, please provide a little more information
about how you setup the Environment and call the Program builder.
Ideally, show us a simple SConstruct demonstrating the problem.

I looked up the sources (v2.3.1), and the PDB target is not created via
SideEffect()...so it should behave like a normal target.
The same holds for the WINDOWS_EMBED_MANIFEST variable, that should
generate the .manifest files for you (at least for MSVC version >= 8.0).

Finally, please not that (opposed to what Jason said in his answer)
SideEffect files get removed on a clean build automatically. There
should be no need to "wrap" SideEffects into another Clean.