[Scons-users] How to generate and distribute documentation for a custom tool?

Björn Pollex bjoern.pollex at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 20 04:31:00 EDT 2014

I am currently trying to figure out how to best document a set of custom
SCons tools I have written. I would like some way to write documentation in
the source-code and then extract that using some documentation generation
tool.

One problem is that several Python documentation generation tools (e.g.
Sphinx) will try to import the modules from which they extract
documentation. This naturally won't work for SCons.

An alternative is to use a tool like Doxygen that can also parse comments
instead of extracting docstrings, but that fells unpythonic, since it
bypasses Pythons builtin documentation mechanism.

Does anyone have experiences they could share?

Regards,

Björn Pollex