[Scons-users] Colouring of 2.3.1 user guide

Andrew Featherstone andrew.featherstone at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 19:16:51 EST 2014

On 03/04/2014 10:59 PM, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de

> <mailto:tshortik at gmx.de>> wrote:

> ...Find a new version attached, I replaced "a" and "a:hover" with

> "a:link" and "a:link:hover", respectively. This prevents the

> various other "div" elements from getting interpreted as anchors, too.

> Installed. Thanks!

> --

> Gary

Here's a selection of thoughts about the user guide. Apologies for it
drifting beyond the thread's original topic.

The new colour scheme seems less legible IMHO - what's wrong with black
typeface?
Has the chapter numbering been deliberately changed too? In
http://www.scons.org/doc/2.3.1/HTML/scons-user.html section numbering is
reset for each chapter, whereas in
http://www.scons.org/doc/2.3.0/HTML/scons-user.html the numbering scheme
guide the latter makes it easier to find your place in the document.
On http://www.scons.org/documentation.php the links to documentation in
Postscript and plain text format are dead.
http://www.scons.org/docversions.php has links to 2.3.1 API, but not for
the user guide or man page
Do the mailing lists listed in the section 4 of the preface still exist,
or have they been deprecated in favour of @scons.org mailing lists like
this one? http://www.scons.org/lists.php suggests not.

It would be nice to have release notes integrated into the
documentation. At the moment this seems to be detached information, such
that understanding the new features requires toggling between the list
of new functionality in the mailing list announcement and then searching
the documentation. Having the release notes in the documentation, along
with links directly to the new API functions, e.g. Pseudo, would be ideal

Sorry for producing a long list of niggles, but I hope that it's
tempered by being of some use as debugging the website and/or producing
some useful suggestions.

Andrew