[Scons-users] Making SConscript dependent on another SConscript's target present in the same directory (target depency across SConscripts files)

Ronex Dicapriyo ronex_89 at yahoo.in
Mon Jun 23 08:14:56 EDT 2014

Hi,

Let me try to explain my problem :

I have created a SConstruct file which is used to basic setup(variant_dir - in case of static library set to <path_of_module>/lib/ where as for shared libraries it's set to <path_of_module>/dll/)
This top level SConstruct used to call SConscript files present for different modules.
say [module_1, module_2, module_3]

Requirement for SConscript:
1) It should create shared and
 static library of a modules for both release and debug build.
    location of shared libraries should be <path_of_module>/dll/
    location of static    libraries should be <path_of_module>/lib/
     [
        For this while calling SConscript from SConstruct I am calling it four times for each combinations :
          (i) release-shared (variant_dir = <path_of_module>/dll)
          (ii) release-static   (variant_dir = <path_of_module>/lib)
          (iii) debug-shared (variant_dir = <path_of_module>/dll)
          (iv)debug-static     (variant_dir = <path_of_module>/lib)
    ]
2) If modules has some dependencies then it should first build the dependent module
    (like module_1 depends on module_2 then module_2 should be build first from module_1's SConscript)

3) Each SConscript copies the created library and some other directories of the module in some common place. Now how should I use intsall here in module/SConscript ?
 Because SConscript gets called four times and what is the proper way to implement such functionality using scons. say if insall used to copy library generated in a call of SConscript and few directories likes include, docs, etc..

For this I was thinking to implement different SConscript in the same folder for install only and want to make it dependent on another Sconscript which generates library.
It could have one more benefit say if modules have interdependency it will first call SConscript for install and then from  it, it would invoke library creation.

Kindly suggest me the way to implement and use scons as per my requirement.

Regards,

Ronex