[Scons-users] SCon example for common build scenario

ronex chako ronex_89 at yahoo.in
Fri Jun 13 11:49:54 EDT 2014

I just started learning scon build tools But could not find
any example which could describe the basic build scenario as mentioned
below:
|module_1:|module_2 |_ src |_ src |_ a.cpp |_ c.cpp |_ b.cpp |_ d.cpp |_ include |_ include |_ a.h |_ c.h |_ b.h |_ d.h |_ test |_ test_1 |_ test_2
Here module_1 depends on the library created from module_2I want to implement SCon makefiles for different release and debug build which can work for platforms like Windows and Linux and implement the task as mentioned below:

	1. SCon should build sources in release(build/release) and debug(build/debug) mode,
For debug mode it must use appropriate flags depending on the OS.
	2. Running scons inside module_1 it should first search for libmodule_2.(a/so) (can be either shared or static library which needs to be decide from
scon environment variable/flag), if not present then build it (How this
kind of dependencies cane be implied in scons and resolved in an elegant way ?)
	3. If libmodules_2 is found or in case if not found then after building it, it should later build module_2.
	4. How can I add regression target in module_1 to run all the test cases ?
	5. Where can I place and implement Sconstruct and SConscript files for above scenario..
i.e. Can it be done using some top level SConstruct file and SConscript in module_1 and module_2 ?
	6. How can I specify the release and debug directories names based on the tools used by scons ?
i.e if it uses gcc version 4.2 then build_gcc_v_4.2 or release_gcc_v_4..

Kindly help me with some examples, or solution for the above scenario... Thanks in advance.
I heartily appreciate any pointers or help.

Regards,
Ronex