[Scons-users] Is there a way to turn this warning message off?

Mark A. Flacy mflacy at verizon.net
Sat Jul 26 13:00:48 EDT 2014

On Saturday, July 26, 2014 10:38:31 AM Dirk Bächle wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On 25.07.2014 22:53, Mark A. Flacy wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > The warning in question is...
> >
> > "scons: warning: No version of Visual Studio compiler found - C/C++
> > compilers most likely not set correctly"
> >
> > Well, no shee-da.  I *don't* have a C/C++ compiler installed on that
> > machine and don't intend to do so.  I'm not compiling C/C++, either.  I'm
> > running xsltproc and some other non-compiling things.
>
> this has actually been discussed before at
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.scons.user/20861
>
> , and at least my personal position about this hasn't change since. Are
> there any new findings that would justify another round of discussion
> about this?

As a tool user, I'd wonder why this one tool (out of all the tools that can be
supported by scons) is the ONLY one that complains that it isn't initialized
correctly.

I think the correct behavior would be to have *all* tools complain when they
cannot initialize or to have *none* of them do so.

In my particular case, I do the original development on a linux box (where
there is no warning generated about Visual Studio compilers) and pass the
setup over to a Windows user who then asks me about the warning message.

If it is supposed to be best practice to explicitly list the tools you are
going to use in your environment, then all tools should complain when they
cannot initialize correctly.  (That would include Visual Studio complaining
when run in a non-Windows environment as well as others.)

Should I submit a bug report?  I wasn't able to find one that matched the above
thread.

--
Mark A. Flacy