[Scons-users] windows linker command line is too long

gabor papp gabor.papp.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 14:20:06 EDT 2014

I'm using scons 2.3.2 on Windows 7 with MSVC 2013 32-bit tools from Cygwin.
I encountered an issue when the command line reaches a certain limit,
and the build fails. If I move the project to a shorter path it
builds.

The output of scons is the following:

Using tempfile c:\cygwin64\tmp\tmpgv7ron.lnk for command line:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\\VC\bin\link.exe"
/LTCG /NOLOGO /DYNAMICBASE:NO /SAFESEH /MACHINE:X86 /OPT:REF
/INCREMENTAL:NO /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /ERRORREPORT:PROMPT /TLBID:1
/OUT:App.exe <many obj and lib filenames omitted>
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
scons: *** [App.exe] Error 1

When I check  c:\cygwin64\tmp\tmpgv7ron.lnk it only contains the path
for the command above from "Files", missing "C:\Program "

I found some very similar reports online, eg. this one:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.scons.user/13302
, but no solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Gabor