[Scons-users] Defining build dependencies between a program and a shared library

Philippe Macaire philippe.macaire at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 13:02:50 EST 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Gary Oberbrunner <garyo at oberbrunner.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Philippe Macaire <

> philippe.macaire at gmail.com> wrote:

>> env.Program('bar', ['main.cpp'], LIBPATH=['lib'], LIB=['foo'])

> In this case, SCons _should_ find the library dependency (and thus rebuild

> when needed). If it's not doing that for you, try --tree=prune and/or

> --debug=findlibs.

You're right: it works on this simple example. I'll have to figure out why
it did not work in our bigger scale case.

What you're missing is that in the latter case it looks for that lib name

> with all LIBSUFFIXES in the LIBPATH to find the dependency. (If it can't

> find it, it assumes it's elsewhere on the system, so it doesn't complain --

> it figures the linker will complain in that case.)

You're right again, and I was assuming wrong...

Thank you so much Gary for helping me (in less that 15 minutes!) sort this
out.
Philippe