[Scons-users] Making a scanner generate a target

Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) ttanner2 at bloomberg.net
Tue Jan 21 04:41:40 EST 2014

In the interests of keeping our code relatively clean, I'd like to add some lint-ish things (espeially pylint). One of the things our build does is to copy .py files into a release directory (the released file being the target, the source file being the source file).

The 'automatic' way would be to do this in the scanner, so that if fred.py imports bill.py, jim.py, then the target should be dependant on the files output by pylint.

The scanner knows exactly what these are when it has been run, but it doesn't get passed a target and I'm not at all sure how to call the target.

As an aside, and something that may be an issue in our build, I have no idea about what information the scanner caches.

If a.py and b.py both import jim.py, will I be asked to scan jim.py twice?