[Scons-users] Extracting "-I" paths in a complex tree

andreas.ames at de.transport.bombardier.com andreas.ames at de.transport.bombardier.com
Mon Jan 20 04:54:38 EST 2014

Gary,

thanks for the hints.

> Yup. Let's say foo.c depends on foo.h, which is _generated_ (not part

> of the source, but created as a target by some builder). Your first

> build will fail in this case, since SCons doesn't know about the

> dependency until it's too late.

That's true. OTOH, executing the preprocessor seperately in a dedicated
scanner step wouldn't work either because the preprocessor wouldn't run
successfully in that case. Such a scanner implementation should probably
be optional anyway, with a big caveat in the docs that generated headers
should be treated as explicit dependencies. After some time as a scons
user I tend to prefer that regardless of the scanner implementation.

> And also, even without generated headers, you'll always get a rebuild

> on the second build since the dependency list has changed (foo.c now

> depends on foo.h, but didn't on the first run.)

Ok, that's the same issue as with a target scanner. I was hoping that
someone knew some trickery to avoid such recompilation with a "postponed"
source scanner (i.e. running the scanner as part of the actual build step)
for the second build.

cheers,

aa

Please consider the environment before you print / Merci de penser à
l'environnement avant d'imprimer / Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt bevor
Sie drucken

Bombardier Transportation GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats / Chairman of Supervisory Board: Prof. Dr.
Wilhelm Bender
Geschäftsführung / Executive Board: Michael Clausecker
(Vorsitzender/Chairman), Dr. Susanne Kortendick, David Barry, Matthias
Keller
Sitz der Gesellschaft / Principal Office: Berlin
Registergericht / Registration Court: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB
64838

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in
use and will browse through incoming emails.
Thank you.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier(s)), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est, par
les présentes, avisée qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez reçu par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note
qu'une solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la
sécurité de nos systèmes d'information et qu'elle furètera les courriels
entrants.
Merci.