[Scons-users] Parallel MD5

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sat Feb 22 09:11:05 EST 2014

Hi Eric,

On 22.02.2014 14:12, Eric van Gyzen wrote:

> SCons Users:

> It seems that SCons uses a single thread to calculate the MD5 sums of the sources, regardless of the -jN flag. Is this correct? When working in large projects with thousands of files, and only modifying one file, parallelizing the MD5 calculations across the -jN CPUs could be a major performance improvement.

I've done some work on analysing and profiling SCons performance in the
past (see http://www.scons.org/wiki/WhySconsIsNotSlow ), and so far I
didn't find that MD5 computation is a real bottleneck.

If you've experienced major slowdowns due to the calculation of
hashsums, I'd be very interested in your results. This includes not only
the actual figures, but also information about the used project setup
and the evaluation process.