[Scons-users] Bug with argument parsing

Dirk Baechle tshortik at gmx.de
Sat Feb 8 16:47:14 EST 2014

Hi Sean,

Am 08.02.2014 05:11, schrieb Sean Houghton:

> Tumbleweeds on this post... it's a fairly serious bug if you're

> adding extra arguments to your project and I'm surprised nobody has

> run in to this before.

> Does anyone use the feature that lets you type in partial command line

> arguments? I suggest this feature be removed.

both described issues from #2929 are based on the same problem. The
parsing mechanism of optparse allows for partial matching of long
options, as long as the common prefix is unique. This conflicts with the
way we internally call "parse_args" for updating values after an
AddOption().

I have created a patch and a pull request for fixing this issue...it's at

https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/pull-request/107/fix-for-the-handling-of-long-options-in/diff

if you want to check it out right now.

Thanks a lot for reporting this. My impression is, that probably several
other users encountered this problem. But then they worked around it by
renaming the arguments and didn't bother to actually get it fixed.