[Scons-users] Memory problem with Integration tests

William Blevins wblevins001 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 12:27:44 EDT 2014

Rob,

My machine (Windows 7) has 14GB of RAM available.

Python (being 32bits) seems to run out while coming close to the 2GB
> boundary.

Is there a reason to use 32-bit python on a 64-bit operating system?

> (watched it grow and grow during the run).
> It especially seemed to grow between after finishing one of the
> integration-test-targets and before starting a second.

It's strange that it would run out of memory around the 2GB (~1/2 the max
for 32-bit) mark unless SCons was trying to allocate a very large
contiguous chunk of memory.  Maybe an array or a string?  Generally,
containers of that nature double in size when increasing capacity.  In most
languages, the array size limit is well below the maximum.  In Java, this
in 1GB for a 32-bit jvm.

Would it be possible to get a memory usage profile for your setup?  Maybe
via something like https://pypi.python.org/pypi/memory_profiler or your
preferred tool?

If not, can you confirm my assumption that the out of memory exception is
not a stack overflow?

What I had noticed already was that this in between time was VERY long
> (single to several minutes).
> Because the tests cannot be run in parallel, and I was trying to optimize,
> I tried:
> scons scripttests --max-drift=1 --implicit-cache -j 1
> and
> env.Decider('MD5-timestamp')
> The "-j 1" really made a HUGE improvement. With this option the memory is
> around 400-500MB (what you had guessed)
> Also the very long waits between the integration-test-targets are almost
> completely gone.

It seems to work, but I don't know why and I would not like to be obligated
> to use the "-j 1"

SCons Job pipeline handles -j1 and -jX for X>1 differently [if I'm not
mistaken].

I imagine each parallel task has a memory overhead.  I don't know if that
overhead grows proportionally to the number of jobs.

How many processors were you running with before?  What happens if you do
-j2 instead of -jNUM_PROCS?

Does the scons run in question build software or just run test scripts?
 The configuration I use at work does both, and I haven't ran into this
issue.

-William