[Scons-users] Memory problem with Integration tests

Rob Deckers Rob.Deckers at vanderlande.com
Mon Aug 11 03:21:11 EDT 2014

Hi All,

I have SCons working including integration tests on one archive and now I'm integrating the integration tests on a second (slightly different) archive.

The previous archive had about 800 scripttests and this one has 1200.
The 1200 tests are devided over about 100 directories and each directory is it's own target.

Each scripttest uses the same single executable.
The executable is dependend on about 8.000 header and cpp files

To make a all_scripttests target, each individual scripttest target is added like:
env.Alias(FscScriptTestTool['scripttest_alias'], target)

When I first do a scons run to build the executable and then an all_scripttests run.
I see the memory growing with each scripttest (a rate of about 1MB every 4 seconds).

Eventually, I get a memory error triggered from some copy command.
When I disabled that single line, I got the error on some other line.

Is it possible my alias construction is to blame?
What does scons (beneath the surface) do with 100 targets all dependent on one executable with 8K files ?
Does it create 100 times the entire tree for the executable?

In the attachment is the output from an up-to-date run for the executable. I used:
scons executable --debug=memory --debug=count
I have a hard time really interpreting those results.

Kind regards,
Rob Deckers

** Disclaimer **

This e-mail, including any attachments, may include proprietary and confidential information of Vanderlande and may only be read by the person or those persons to whom it is addressed.
This document is forwarded to you in such a form (e-mail) that Vanderlande cannot guarantee the completeness and/or correctness of its contents and information.
If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify us immediately. Please also delete this document from your computer.
This document may not be reproduced, copied, distributed, published, modified, or furnished to third parties, without the prior written consent of Vanderlande.